Woman, grandson die in mobile-home fire in Darrington.
A woman in her 80s died and her grandson was fatally injured when fire swept through their Darrington mobile home early Saturday.
The blaze was reported shortly before 5 a.m., said Dennis Fenstermaker, chief of Snohomish County Fire District 24, and the single-wide mobile home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
The man, who was standing outside, apparently had attempted to rescue his grandmother, Fenstermaker said, but suffered burns that forced him to leave the home without her.
The man, in his 40s, suffered burns over more than half his body, the chief said.
- Narcotics dog hospitalized after ingesting meth
- It's no easy task, but contract extension for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will get done
- Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where?
- Toppled fish truck makes a stinker of a commute Tuesday night
- Amazon devouring quarter of Seattle's best office space
Most Read Stories
He was taken by ambulance to Arlington, then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he later died.
The man’s wife also suffered minor burns, Fenstermaker said.
While the victims’ names were not released, the family is well-known in Darrington, population 1,500.
“They’re longtime Darrington residents, well-liked and respected in the community,” Fenstermaker said.
The man cooked for the Fire Department’s annual dinners, the chief said. One of his daughters is a volunteer firefighter, and another used to be.
There was ammunition in the home, Fenstermaker said, and “it was going off long after we arrived on the scene.” But it didn’t hamper firefighting efforts significantly, he added.
While the fire’s cause has not been officially determined, he said, it appears to have been an electrical problem.
Small dogs alerted the man and his wife to the blaze, Fenstermaker said, and if the home had been equipped with smoke detectors it might have provided them a few extra minutes to react.
Eric Pryne: 206-464-2231 or email@example.com