Share story

A 13-year-old Des Moines boy was arrested by Seattle police Thursday night in connection with a vicious beating of a security guard in Westlake Park in July.

The boy made his first appearance in King County juvenile court on Friday, where a judge found probable cause to suspect the boy committed the crimes of third-degree assault and second-degree robbery, said Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg.

The judge granted him a home pass for the weekend, provided he is under constant supervision of his parents, and he is to return to court Monday, when he will be placed on electronic home monitoring, Donohoe said.

The Seattle Times is not naming the boy because he is a juvenile and has not yet been charged with a crime.

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

According to the probable-cause statement outlining the police case against the boy, the security guard/concierge was working at the Seaboard Building, a historic condo building that borders Westlake Park, when he witnessed a theft by three young women around 7 p.m. July 19. He went to the alleged theft victim and informed that person what he had witnessed, prompting the three women to begin yelling and verbally abusing the security guard, the statement says.

One of the women pushed the guard in the chest, at which point five to seven males ran over and began punching and kicking the security guard, knocking him to the ground, it says.

The 13-year-old allegedly kicked the guard’s head several times and attempted to steal his wallet, the statement says.

Those involved in the beating scattered when a park ranger working in Westlake Park approached, the statement says. Medics took the security guard to Harborview Medical Center to be treated for a concussion, broken nose, broken right arm, a cut above his right eye, a chipped tooth and injuries to his right knee, the statement says.

Four days later the park ranger saw the 13-year-old in a candy store
that borders the park. The ranger called police, who interviewed and released the boy, according to the statement.

On Wednesday, the security guard identified the 13-year-old from a police photo montage as one of his alleged attackers, the statement says. He told detectives that he got a good look at the boy before he lost consciousness, but couldn’t identify anyone else involved because it had happened too fast.

In an August letter sent to Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and members of the Seattle City Council, William Mackay — a resident of the Seaboard Building and president of Friends of Westlake — urged officials to permanently assign police officers to Westlake Park, citing the alleged attack on the security guard. According to his letter, a gang of 20 to 30 young people have taken over the southern section of the park, where they remain all day with their dogs and possessions, selling and smoking marijuana.

“The city has always thrown temporary police resources at the problem, but as soon as the extra police presence is inevitably withdrawn, the gang returns. This scenario is no longer working. This gang is more determined and much more violent than in the past,” Mackay wrote.

Sara Jean Green:

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.