Share story

A 32-year-old Renton man waived his first court appearance Wednesday after his arrest Tuesday night in connection with the fatal shooting of Jowanna Gooden, whose body was found on the Burke-Gilman Trail in Seattle by passers-by early on Oct. 4.

A King County District Court judge found probable cause to hold Uriel Boyd on investigation of homicide and set his bail at $1 million Wednesday.

Seattle police say Boyd claimed to have accidentally shot Gooden, according to the probable-cause statement outlining the police case against him.

The statement also says Boyd allegedly assaulted Gooden three weeks before her death near her Renton apartment complex, which is adjacent to the apartment building where Boyd was living with another woman.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

On the night of Oct. 3, Boyd, who also goes by the name “Duane,” was seen by a witness talking to Gooden at the R-Bar & Grill on 116th Avenue Southeast in Renton, the statement says.

The witness said Gooden and Boyd walked out of the same witness’ sight, but he noticed Boyd’s green Ford Crown Victoria leave the parking lot of a shopping plaza adjacent to the bar a short time later, according to the statement.

Earlier that day, Boyd had applied for benefits at the White Center office of the state Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), and provided officials there with his cellphone number, according to the statement. Detectives got a search warrant for his phone records and determined that Boyd received a phone call at 10:55 p.m. on Oct. 3 while near the 4000 block of Bagley Avenue North, which is about five blocks from where Gooden’s body was found, the statement says.

Around 4:30 a.m. on Oct. 4, two people driving in the 2400 block of North Northlake Way called 911 to report seeing a person lying on the paved pathway about 20 feet north of the street, according to the statement. Police arrived and determined the woman — later identified as Gooden, 26 — had been shot once in the forehead.

Officers found a single 9- mm shell casing near her feet, as well as a nearly-empty can of 211 Steel Reserve beer nearby, it says.

Detectives found the same brand of beer in Gooden’s apartment, along with a pizza she’d purchased within hours of her death, the statement says.

Seattle detectives set up surveillance outside the apartment where Boyd was staying and arrested him just after 6:30 p.m. Tuesday as he drove off in the Crown Victoria, which is registered to his mother, the statement says.

Police say Boyd drove Gooden to Seattle and they argued over damage Boyd accused her of doing to his vehicle, the statement says. According to police, Boyd claimed he brandished a 9- mm gun to scare Gooden and the gun went off as he pointed it at her from less than two feet away, the statement says.

The deadline for King County prosecutors to file charges is Tuesday.

Boyd has previously been convicted of a number of drug charges, unlawful possession of a firearm and burglary and has several criminal traffic violations for driving with a suspended license, court records show.

Seattle Times news researcher Gene Balk contributed to this report.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.