A man with gunshot wounds died at the scene, and 75 people were evacuated while crews put out a fire in the lakeside apartment building.
Bellevue police are investigating a fire and fatal shooting early Tuesday morning at a lakeside apartment building.
At about 2 a.m., police received multiple reports of gunshots heard at 10022 Meydenbauer Way S.E.
Officer Seth Tyler, a Bellevue Police spokesman, said three officers responded to the luxury apartments, noticed smoke seeping from beneath a closed door and forced their way in.
Officers dragged a man from the apartment; he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Most Read Stories
- Friends honor artist’s last wishes with water ballet in a Seattle kiddie pool WATCH
- Experts answer your burning questions about the 2017 solar eclipse
- Sorrow at the Space Needle: Dinner at one of Seattle’s most expensive restaurants VIEW
- Pilots, check your bearings: Boeing Field catches up with Earth’s magnetic field
- Seattle Mayor Ed Murray calls for removal of Confederate monument, Lenin statue
About a dozen firefighters extinguished the fire in about 15 minutes, said Lt. Ryan Armstrong of the Bellevue Fire Department. About 75 people were evacuated from the 51-unit building.
At least one police officer was checked for smoke inhalation and cleared by paramedics.
Police are investigating the apartment as a crime scene.
“At this point in the investigation, we’ve got a lot more questions than answers,” Tyler said. “We don’t believe there are any suspects outstanding.”
About three-quarters of the building’s residents were allowed back into their homes, but Armstrong said residents can’t return to the first floor, where the shooting and fire occurred.
The Red Cross is assisting people displaced by the fire and investigation. A King County Metro bus was driven to the building so residents would have a warm place to wait as officers investigate.