Ruben Van Kempen, a beloved drama teacher at Seattle’s Roosevelt High School, is calling it a career after 37 years. His last hurrah is a staging of the musical “Mary Poppins.”
- After peaceful evening, protesters, police clash late in Olympia
- This weekend, expect mild weather and a crush of travelers
- 53 people in 9 states sickened after eating raw tuna
- Charter school gets more ultimatums — and a deadline
- Students at private colleges may lose financial aid under proposed state budget
- UW recognized for recruiting women to computer science
- First dinosaur bone found in state, 80 million years later
Latest Local Stories
- High roads open early in Olympic National Park
- As Boeing chief lets answers fly, it is what it is | The Wrap / Ron Judd
- Arrest in Florida on child abuse charges from Washington
- Tacoma police open fire on mental health patient after assault, carjacking
- Pet food spills across Interstate 90 in Eastern Washington
Most Read Stories
The Seattle Times’ local news columnists take a unique look at issues affecting our region as well as the people behind them. Their columns offer a mix of humor, humanity and passion for the place we call home.
Republican senators advanced a plan Wednesday to roll back financial industry regulations, including consumer safeguards for costly mobile-home loans. Before the vote, Democrats on the Senate Banking Committee pushed to scale back the overall bill, offering an amendment that would have left mobile-home safeguards untouched. But Republicans squashed that proposal and approved the overall plan...
“Why don't we close down all the well known/loved restaurants and keep building apartments and condos in their place. Seattle has definitely lost its charm. ”
Comment by kat126 on Beloved Mama’s Mexican Kitchen in Belltown to close
Authorities say a Friday morning accident on Interstate 90 in Eastern Washington left pet food strewn across the road.
Local News Photography
A compromise state budget proposal would cut financial aid for private-college students, although not as much as originally proposed.
A 43-year-old man has been arrested in Florida for suspicion of child rape following an investigation that began in Washington state.
Tacoma police say a mental health patient assaulted three staff members, carjacked a woman and tried to run down two police officers, prompting one to open fire.
Recent Video Stories
Joseph McEnroe, convicted of killing six members of his ex-girlfriend's family on Christmas Eve 2007, will be formally sentenced to life in prison on June 10.
Washington state has hired a wildlife-conflict specialist to help reduce tensions caused by the state's growing population of wolves.
In the state’s first checkup on recreational-marijuana stores, four of 22 stores sold pot to underage buyers, according to the Liquor Control Board.