Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says "the political knives" came out when former Sen. Chuck Hagel appeared before a Senate committee for a confirmation hearing.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says “the political knives” came out when former Sen. Chuck Hagel appeared before a Senate committee for a confirmation hearing.
Republicans on the Armed Services Committee grilled Hagel about his views on Iran and Israel and other issues.
In discussing the nomination of Hagel, Panetta tells NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he is disappointed that the questions Hagel received at the hearing Thursday focused so much on what Hagel has said in the past instead of what he thinks about today’s issues.
Panetta says the committee didn’t spend enough time discussing such matters as the war in Afghanistan, the war on terrorism, and looming automatic budget cuts and their impact on military readiness.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
- High court rejects franchises’ challenge to Seattle’s $15 wage law
Most Read Stories
The Panetta interview airs Sunday on “Meet the Press.”