Rebecca Mieliwocki is the 2012 National Teacher of the Year.
President Barack Obama is honoring Rebecca Mieliwocki (Mil-WAU-kee) as the 2012 National Teacher of the Year.
Mieliwocki is a seventh-grade English teacher in suburban Los Angeles. During a White House ceremony, Obama said Mieliwocki maintains “big expectations” for her 7th grade class but remembers that “school should be fun.”
Mieliwocki is known for inspiring and motivating students, often using the Socratic method of questioning to stimulate students’ critical thinking and create dynamic lessons.
The president noted that the Burbank, Calif., teacher hosts family nights, sends out weekly memos to parents and maintains a Facebook page for her class.
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW, WSU
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
Most Read Stories
Obama and Mieliwocki were joined in the East Room by winners of state teacher of the year awards.