Rebecca Mieliwocki is the 2012 National Teacher of the Year.
President Barack Obama is honoring Rebecca Mieliwocki (Mil-WAU-kee) as the 2012 National Teacher of the Year.
Mieliwocki is a seventh-grade English teacher in suburban Los Angeles. During a White House ceremony, Obama said Mieliwocki maintains “big expectations” for her 7th grade class but remembers that “school should be fun.”
Mieliwocki is known for inspiring and motivating students, often using the Socratic method of questioning to stimulate students’ critical thinking and create dynamic lessons.
The president noted that the Burbank, Calif., teacher hosts family nights, sends out weekly memos to parents and maintains a Facebook page for her class.
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Seattle-area teen loved football, says grieving father
Most Read Stories
Obama and Mieliwocki were joined in the East Room by winners of state teacher of the year awards.