President Barack Obama is mourning what he calls "yet another mass shooting" in the United States that took the life of what he says were American patriots.
President Barack Obama is mourning what he calls “yet another mass shooting” in the United States that took the life of what he says were American patriots.
Obama promised to make sure, quote, “whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible.”
Authorities said at least 12 people were killed in a shooting rampage Monday at the Washington Navy Yard about 3 1/2 miles from the White House.
Obama said the victims were “courageous Americans” who knew about the risks of serving overseas, but wouldn’t have expected such “unimaginable violence” at home.
- Kirkland hunter defends acquaintance who killed treasured lion Cecil
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor considering training-camp holdout, source says
- Seattle baby names: We’re trying harder to stand out
- Piece of Flight MH370 might finally have surfaced
Most Read Stories
Obama later telephoned Navy Secretary Ray Mabus to express his condolences and FBI Director James Comey to commend the agency’s response. He also ordered flags on federal property to be flown at half-staff through Friday.