WASHINGTON — The Republican National Committee (RNC) formally decided Friday not to partner with CNN and NBC News for any presidential-primary debates during the 2016 election cycle, a rebuke of the networks’ plans to air programs about Hillary Rodham Clinton and an attempt to seize more control of a crucial element of modern campaigns.
Cable- and broadcast-television networks have sponsored and produced dozens of primary debates during the recent presidential-election cycles, often partnering with state parties or other political organizations in an effort to draw candidates to the televised events.
During the 2012 cycle, top networks sponsored at least 20 debates that stretched from May 2011 to February 2012; CNN hosted seven debates, while NBC News, CNBC or MSNBC hosted four. The Washington Post co-sponsored a debate with Bloomberg News in the lead-up to the New Hampshire GOP primary.
Presidential candidates of both parties have complained that debates require devotion to preparation and evenings spent on stage with fellow candidates instead of time spent with voters. Party leaders, candidates and consultants of both parties also have complained that the format sometimes does a better job of exposing intraparty divisions than raising concerns about the opposing party.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
In hopes of taking back some control of the process, top RNC leaders unanimously approved a resolution Friday at its annual summer meeting in Boston stating that the national party will not partner with CNN or NBC nor sanction any primary debates they plan to sponsor and broadcast.
“We’re done putting up with this nonsense,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus told colleagues before they voted. “There are plenty of other news outlets; we’ll still reach plenty of voters … but CNN and NBC anchors will just have to watch on their competitors’ networks.”
Eager to blunt the future political aspirations of Clinton, Priebus had called on the two networks to rethink their decisions to produce and air programs about the former first lady, senator and secretary of state, calling each production a “thinly veiled attempt” to help her campaign should she decide to run for president in 2016. In the past two weeks, Republicans and network executives have sparred over whether the two films amount to free airtime and support for Clinton.
The resolution approved Friday stated that the Clinton-themed programs “will jeopardize the credibility of CNN and NBC as supposedly unbiased news networks and undermine the perceived objectivity of the coverage of the 2016 presidential campaign by these networks.”
On the same day as the RNC vote, Fox Television Studios, a sibling to Fox News Channel and the Fox broadcast network, said it would not partner with NBC on the miniseries. Fox had been in talks with NBC but hadn’t reached a final deal.
The ban on CNN and NBC extends to their Spanish-language networks, CNN en Español and Telemundo, leaving the party with only one major Spanish-language broadcaster, Univision, to partner with on officially sanctioned debates.
The networks announced their plans for Clinton-related shows recently, with CNN to produce and air a documentary that will run on TV and in theaters, and NBC shooting a four-hour miniseries starring Diane Lane.
Some NBC News correspondents have been outspoken in their opposition to the Clinton project, which thus far has no script.
NBC’s top entertainment executive, Bob Greenblatt, said in late July that NBC had purchased the miniseries and would endeavor to present it before Clinton announces her intentions for the 2016 presidential campaign, thus avoiding demands from other candidates for equal time.
NBC News declined to comment Friday, but has said previously that it is separate from NBC Entertainment, which is producing the film. In a statement, CNN said that it is continuing work on its documentary and that it “is in the very early stages of development, months from completion.”