Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey's nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey’s nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
McCain told reporters Thursday he was frustrated with Dempsey’s response toward the end of his confirmation hearing when he pressed the general about his personal opinion on Syria. He is seeking additional answers.
The Arizona lawmaker said he would put a hold – essentially block – the nomination from moving forward in the Senate.
McCain made the comments after the hours-long hearing.
- USC fires head coach Steve Sarkisian, former UW Huskies coach
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Steve Sarkisian: ‘It breaks my heart’
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll ‘baffled’ after late collapse vs. Bengals
- McMenamins Anderson School grand opening is Thursday
- Woman convicted of killing 2 in DUI crash accused of drinking again