Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey's nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey’s nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
McCain told reporters Thursday he was frustrated with Dempsey’s response toward the end of his confirmation hearing when he pressed the general about his personal opinion on Syria. He is seeking additional answers.
The Arizona lawmaker said he would put a hold – essentially block – the nomination from moving forward in the Senate.
McCain made the comments after the hours-long hearing.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
- Man arrested in attack on Metro bus driver