Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey's nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey’s nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
McCain told reporters Thursday he was frustrated with Dempsey’s response toward the end of his confirmation hearing when he pressed the general about his personal opinion on Syria. He is seeking additional answers.
The Arizona lawmaker said he would put a hold – essentially block – the nomination from moving forward in the Senate.
McCain made the comments after the hours-long hearing.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Shell icebreaker begins journey after protesters removed from Portland bridge
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area