Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey's nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Republican Sen. John McCain says he will block Gen. Martin Dempsey’s nomination for a second term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
McCain told reporters Thursday he was frustrated with Dempsey’s response toward the end of his confirmation hearing when he pressed the general about his personal opinion on Syria. He is seeking additional answers.
The Arizona lawmaker said he would put a hold – essentially block – the nomination from moving forward in the Senate.
McCain made the comments after the hours-long hearing.
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
- Despite struggles on and off field, ex-Skyline star QB Jake Heaps still chasing his dream