"Tango is intimate communication and connection between two embracing dancers that uses no words. It is sensual without necessarily...
“Tango is intimate communication and connection between two embracing dancers that uses no words. It is sensual without necessarily being sexual. Within the boundaries of a very few rules, the dance is open to endless creativity. The wide spectrum of its music ranges like human emotions — sometimes playful or passionate, other times sad or melancholy, occasionally fierce and angry.
Tango is a living dance and, like life itself, is evolving. It has moved in a most civilized fashion from its early origin of being a dance of dominance and submission to one of invitation and acceptance. The invitation being extended from the man’s center, the acceptance coming from the woman’s center. I think of each tango as having its own life and breath.
Most Read Stories
- This season, Seahawks have crossed the line from brash to just plain unlikable | Matt Calkins
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll says Richard Sherman played second half of season with 'significant' knee injury
- Michael Bennett explodes at reporter following Seahawks-Falcons game
- Can’t make it to D.C.? Seattle will have own women’s march
- Tight end Luke Willson, one of Seahawks' 14 unrestricted free agents, says he's hoping to be back WATCH
To me, the endearing aspects of the dance are the ebb and flow of partners moving together and apart, the dynamics of tension and release, and the pleasure of having just spent three minutes closely sharing a ‘Tango Moment.’
Love of music and dance has been the foundation of my life since my earliest years. After nearly 40 years as both teacher and performer of a wide variety of ethnic and social dances, I was personally transformed when first introduced to Argentine tango. The music and movement of this fascinating dance spoke to my soul like none before, and I felt compelled to pursue it. Nearly 20 years have passed since I was first introduced to the tango, and it is still the pervading force in my life today.”
— Sonny Newman, owner of Sonny Newman’s Dance Hall in Greenwood (www.tangoseattle.com.)