The Domestic Goddess says slapping some paint on the wall is one of the easiest ways to freshen up a room.
TODAY’S COLUMN promises to be about as much fun as watching paint dry. In fact, it is about watching paint dry! And stuff. Slapping some paint on the wall is one of the easiest ways to freshen up a room, unless you are able to call it a day with the addition of a new throw pillow. Then do that. The Goddess, however, is all about the paint solution.
Made to match
Yolo Colorhouse, the Portland indie paint company with the no-VOC, noncarcinogenic, Green Seal-certified products, has something new for the kiddies. The Sprout Fabric Collection. Goes with the seven colors in the Sprout Collection of paints (“playful and gender-neutral”), $44 per gallon. Must admit, fabrics are playful and gender-neutral, too. Organic cotton in sateen or knit. Inspired by new growth and the first buds of spring. Printed in the USA with nontoxic water-based inks. Designs include building blocks, circles, dots and dashes; modern and cute. Fabric is 56 inches wide and $36 per yard.
- WWU cancels classes Tuesday after racial threats on social media
- Seahawks re-sign Bryce Brown in Marshawn Lynch’s absence
- Report: Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch has surgery Wednesday, could be back by late December
- Like Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks’ Thomas Rawls craves contact
- Seahawks ramblings: What got Cary Williams benched?
Most Read Stories
Find Yolo paints at Lowe’s, www.amazon.com and www.homedepot.com. Find the fabric at www.yolocolorhouse.com.
We ask a lot of the paint on our walls. Set the mood, lift our spirits, welcome the new baby, sell the house. But, really, how often do we ask it to keep the environs smelling fresh? Hardly ever, right?
Ask away. Dutch Boy‘s got a deal with Arm & Hammer, “an established leader in odor-reducing technologies,” and they’ve got Refresh paint. There’s a lot of science involved. And you can watch videos of talking-headed scientists about it if you like at www.dutchboy.com. But, basically, it traps and neutralizes odor molecules(!). Not covering up, reducing. Loads o’ colors and no, none-at-all VOC. Think kitchen, bathroom (dur!), basement, nursery, laundry and anyplace your husband eats burritos. About $26 a gallon.
Wall-to-wall sticker shack
Murals, murals, murals. The design world is up to its eyeballs in wall murals lately. I smell a trend wafting by. Here are two that are kinda fun:
• Serious lack of a headboard in your bedroom? There’s a mural for that. $40 from Blik (they call them “removable wall graphics”). Traditional, modern, wrought iron, Louis XVI. Blik was born as the solution to the should-we-paint-or-wallpaper dilemma suffered by architect Scott Flora and food writer Jerinne Neils. Neigh, they decided. It is a far, far better thing to graphic up the wall, temporarily. Loads of options at www.whatisblik.com.• Do-it-yourself (paint-by-numbers, better done by a grown-up) wall murals for kids’ rooms that incorporate chalkboard paint from Elephants on the Wall. For learning, to keep track of a busy playdate calendar, scribbling, whatever they do. About $25. Elephants on the Wall was created by one Patti Newton, former designer for Walt Disney Imagineering and instructor at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, Calif. www.elephantsonthewall.com and www.amazon.com. Goddess discount alert!: SEATTLEX15 (15 percent off at the Elephants website only, good until Oct. 15).
Reclaim, reuse, renew!
If it’s good enough for the U.S. military, schools and government agencies around the world, then … Kelly-Moore Paint’s eCoat Recycled Paint. Interior and exterior. It’s made with a minimum of 50 percent post-consumer waste paint. How do they do this? Designated paint for recycling is sorted and tested. It is then filtered, mixed and adjusted for quality. The paint is processed to assure good adhesion, abrasion resistance and durability. Find it at Miller Paint Company stores and other fine paint-selling establishments. $20 a gallon.
P.S. Sherwin-Williams has a free ColorSnap app: Use smartphone photos to match real-world colors with paint. Get go-with colors, create palettes, search, browse, adjust, save and share colors. Whew. www.sherwin-williams.com.