WHEN THE SUN is out, the Alaskan landscape shimmers with beauty. And at the Eaglecrest ski area high above Juneau, Alaska’s capital city, a skier takes a break to read and bask amid big views of mountains and inlets.
Eaglecrest isn’t exactly a destination ski resort, with just four double chairlifts. But you won’t have to fight big crowds, and it’s just a 20-minute drive from downtown Juneau.
So if you’re heading to Juneau in winter, why not add on some skiing or boarding? Maybe you’ll get lucky and get some sunshine, too.
Kristin R. Jackson is The Seattle Times’ NWTraveler editor.
- Seahawks get high grades for drafting of Jarran Reed, while reaction to other picks a little more varied
- TCU QB Trevone Boykin among Seahawks' undrafted free agent signings
- Oregon QB Vernon Adams to attend Seahawks rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis
- Seahawks bolster key areas of need on Day 3 of NFL draft
- Bellevue High principal leaves school amid scrutiny of football program