WHEN THE SUN is out, the Alaskan landscape shimmers with beauty. And at the Eaglecrest ski area high above Juneau, Alaska’s capital city, a skier takes a break to read and bask amid big views of mountains and inlets.
Eaglecrest isn’t exactly a destination ski resort, with just four double chairlifts. But you won’t have to fight big crowds, and it’s just a 20-minute drive from downtown Juneau.
So if you’re heading to Juneau in winter, why not add on some skiing or boarding? Maybe you’ll get lucky and get some sunshine, too.
Kristin R. Jackson is The Seattle Times’ NWTraveler editor.
- Kirkland hunter defends acquaintance who killed treasured lion Cecil
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor considering training-camp holdout, source says
- Seattle baby names: We’re trying harder to stand out
- Wing part that may be from missing Malaysian plane to be sent to France