WHEN THE SUN is out, the Alaskan landscape shimmers with beauty. And at the Eaglecrest ski area high above Juneau, Alaska’s capital city, a skier takes a break to read and bask amid big views of mountains and inlets.
Eaglecrest isn’t exactly a destination ski resort, with just four double chairlifts. But you won’t have to fight big crowds, and it’s just a 20-minute drive from downtown Juneau.
So if you’re heading to Juneau in winter, why not add on some skiing or boarding? Maybe you’ll get lucky and get some sunshine, too.
Kristin R. Jackson is The Seattle Times’ NWTraveler editor.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
- Shopping video undoes woman's case against SPD