WHEN THE SUN is out, the Alaskan landscape shimmers with beauty. And at the Eaglecrest ski area high above Juneau, Alaska’s capital city, a skier takes a break to read and bask amid big views of mountains and inlets.
Eaglecrest isn’t exactly a destination ski resort, with just four double chairlifts. But you won’t have to fight big crowds, and it’s just a 20-minute drive from downtown Juneau.
So if you’re heading to Juneau in winter, why not add on some skiing or boarding? Maybe you’ll get lucky and get some sunshine, too.
Kristin R. Jackson is The Seattle Times’ NWTraveler editor.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Tukwila group to submit expansion application to NHL
- Legislature OKs new budget with rare tuition cuts and pay raises for teachers