Seattle Times reader Brent Smith's photo of the Space Needle and downtown Seattle in a haze of smoke from Independence Day fireworks.
Brent Smith, Seattle
Photo taken: July 4, Queen Anne Hill, Seattle
Photographer’s description: “I captured this on the south slope of Queen Anne while the fireworks were going off on Lake Union. That’s smoke, not clouds! Taken with Canon 5D Mark II, EF 70-200 lens at 77 mm, with 8-second exposure.”
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW Huskies, WSU Cougars
Most Read Stories
Expert says: “The firework smoke lingering through the sky is captured nicely with a long exposure, giving the image some movement. A long exposure and tripod make the city sharp while colors pop up throughout the scene. I would love to see a firework in the sky. Your forethought and intention were clearly used to make this a striking nighttime shot.”
— Courtney Riffkin, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos. We’ll judge the best and award a prize in December.