Seattle Times reader Brent Smith's photo of the Space Needle and downtown Seattle in a haze of smoke from Independence Day fireworks.
Brent Smith, Seattle
Photo taken: July 4, Queen Anne Hill, Seattle
Photographer’s description: “I captured this on the south slope of Queen Anne while the fireworks were going off on Lake Union. That’s smoke, not clouds! Taken with Canon 5D Mark II, EF 70-200 lens at 77 mm, with 8-second exposure.”
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays
Most Read Stories
Expert says: “The firework smoke lingering through the sky is captured nicely with a long exposure, giving the image some movement. A long exposure and tripod make the city sharp while colors pop up throughout the scene. I would love to see a firework in the sky. Your forethought and intention were clearly used to make this a striking nighttime shot.”
— Courtney Riffkin, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos. We’ll judge the best and award a prize in December.