Photographer: Russ Johnson, Kenmore
Photo taken: Jan. 12, my backyard
Photographer’s description: “I went outside to see if I could get a photo of the crow who has claimed our backyard. We have affectionately named him Rufus, and he has become quite tame. If I am working outside, usually he let’s me know he is there. So I tried to get a photo of him on the picnic table also showing the frost.”
Expert says: “Having the ice crystals in focus by using a telephoto lens is really creative (whether intentional or not) and creates an eerie, abstract effect. I like that the crow isn’t fully in the frame but the viewer’s eyes follow the rule of thirds.”
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
– Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.