Photographer: Frank Melchior, Edmonds
Photo taken: May 3, Steptoe Butte, Palouse Country, Whitman County
Photographer’s description: “Spent the night in Colfax, took the short 10-mile trip up to Steptoe Butte with my Nikon D800 and 300mm f/2,8 lens on a tripod. Shot this at 1/800, f/3.5, ISO 800 around sunset.”
Expert says: “The rainbow of colors in this photo is gorgeous and the lovely light creates a painting-like look. I think the key to this beautiful photo is the time it was taken. We wouldn’t get those shadows, the number of varying colors or the golden light if it wasn’t taken during the golden hour. I really like the wide aperture used because it makes the colors fade off into the distance. Some people might like a smaller aperture so the distant hills are more in focus. Photography is subjective like that. Great photo, nevertheless.”
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
— Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.