Photographer: Allyn Hughes, Gig Harbor
Photo taken: June 6, outside the mouth of Gig Harbor, at sunrise
Photographer’s description: “Shot with Canon 5D Mark 3 and Zeiss 21mm lens. F22 and a 15 second exposure using a Lee filter. Net shed pier covered with bivalves at low tide.”
Expert says: “I love the subtlety of Mount Rainier framed between the pier as well as the softness of the colors and the water, which are caused by the filter and long shutter respectively. The texture of the shells at the bottom of the image, cutting the frame in half, contrasts nicely with that softness of the upper part of the frame. The lens used is perfect for landscapes such as this, so as to provide a wide angle with a minimal amount of distortion.”
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
Most Read Stories
– Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.