Photographer: Brian Jennings, Bainbridge Island
Photo taken: June 21, Union Bay Natural Area, Seattle
Photographer’s description: “While I sat at the edge of a pond, this great blue heron flew over and landed within 10 feet of me. I had been trying to get some photos of dragonflies at the water’s edge and was quite startled when this big bird came into my viewfinder. Camera: Canon EOS 7D. Lens: Canon EF-S 55-250mm.”
Expert says: “What a wonderful blue heron photo. It looks like he (she?) is dancing in the water. Great job focusing on the bird’s head and getting a clean background. I might crop up right above that red foliage to clean up the foreground just a bit.”
- Who do post-Combine mock drafts have the Seahawks selecting?
- Belltown ticket trap turns drivers into 'sitting ducks'
- Microsoft pair claim 'hostess bar' expense queries led to firing
- Seattle's new seawall also a highway for fish
- A Paleo diet Q&A: How to eat like a caveman and lose weight
Most Read Stories
– Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.