Seattle Times reader Duke Coonrad's photo of snow geese, a pretty Skagit Valley church and snowy Mount Baker.
Duke Coonrad, Mercer Island
Photo taken: March 8, Fir Island, Skagit County
Photographer’s description: “The snow geese overnight on Skagit Bay and leave in the early a.m. to feed in surrounding farm fields. Thousands of snow geese circled in the air before deciding to land just south of the Fir-Conway Lutheran Church. Mount Baker was out to provide a magnificent background. Taken with a Canon 7D with a Canon 70-300mm lens.”
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Shell icebreaker begins journey after protesters removed from Portland bridge
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area
Most Read Stories
Expert says: “What a breathtaking scene! The snow geese covering the ground mimic the snow on the mountain. A long lens and small aperture pull the layers of landscape together and preserve the details. A long, shallow crop is effective at emphasizing the layers composing the photograph.”
— Kathryn Bachen, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos. We’ll judge the best and award a prize in December.