Photographer: Tim Luce, Redmond
Photo taken: Feb. 16, Cannon Beach, Ore.
Photographer’s description: “On our anniversary weekend to Cannon Beach, my wife and I were greeted with 50 mph winds and relentless rain. On Sunday we were greeted with glorious sunshine. Just as I was going to take this picture a flock of seagulls took flight. They almost look 3D in front of Haystack Rock. I used a Panasonic DMC-FZ18 set to auto.”
Expert says: “Haystack Rock is a much-photographed monument, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it photographed quite like this. I love that the rock is fully lit while the foreground is shaded, but just enough light hits the birds so they aren’t silhouetted. I wish the first bird at the top left didn’t get his head chopped off, but I understand that’s sometimes tough to do in the heat of the moment. I would crop slightly from the top and a teensy bit from the bottom for impact. Great shot!”
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
— Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.