Photographer: Robert Kulwicki, Seattle
Photo taken: June 21, from Golden Gardens Park
Photographer’s description: “I went to Golden Gardens on five occasions looking to capture this shot. I wanted a sunset, light clouds and a sailboat — and it all came together nicely on this day (the summer solstice). To get the sailboat to line up with the setting sun, I had to run up and down the shoreline but it was worth it. Taken with Sony a77, f11, 1/500 sec, ISO 100.”
Expert says: “The orange color from this sunset is gorgeous. I like that the boat isn’t a typical silhouetted boat, but that it’s either coming at the camera or heading toward the sun. Great job running to get the boat to line up with the sun; it created a bit of backlight to create some separation between the sail and the land behind it. I also enjoy the little ripples on the water that create some texture and a variation in that beautiful orange color.”
- Strange but true: Mammoth catfish caught in Italy, and great white shark lurking off Washington coast
- Microsoft pair claim 'hostess bar' expense queries led to firing
- Slugger Nelson Cruz makes strong first impression with Mariners
- Forecasters say gas prices are set to soar
- Thursday morning musings: Mel Kiper says Seattle pick "very difficult to predict right now''
Most Read Stories
— Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.