Photographer: Robert Kulwicki, Seattle
Photo taken: June 21, from Golden Gardens Park
Photographer’s description: “I went to Golden Gardens on five occasions looking to capture this shot. I wanted a sunset, light clouds and a sailboat — and it all came together nicely on this day (the summer solstice). To get the sailboat to line up with the setting sun, I had to run up and down the shoreline but it was worth it. Taken with Sony a77, f11, 1/500 sec, ISO 100.”
Expert says: “The orange color from this sunset is gorgeous. I like that the boat isn’t a typical silhouetted boat, but that it’s either coming at the camera or heading toward the sun. Great job running to get the boat to line up with the sun; it created a bit of backlight to create some separation between the sail and the land behind it. I also enjoy the little ripples on the water that create some texture and a variation in that beautiful orange color.”
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Mariners trade Mark Lowe to the Blue Jays for three minor leaguers
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
Most Read Stories
— Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.