Photographer: Seth McOmber, Seattle
Photo taken: June 15, Butchart Gardens, Victoria, B.C.
Photographer’s description: “Here’s a photo I nabbed while vacationing on Vancouver Island. I was disappointed to not get the entire halo into the shot, but later learned that solar halos always present at 22 degrees and most cameras (including my iPhone 4) can only capture 20.”
Expert says: “Sweet halo! I actually kind of enjoy not seeing the entire halo. You could play with that and crop down from the top a bit so there is almost a semicircle. The totem pole’s silhouette makes this photo special and cropping would also make it more dominant in the photo.”
- Beloved Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown to close
- Washington officer shoots men accused of earlier beer theft
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Queen Anne apartments -- at half the usual cost
- Bing no longer a search-engine blip
Most Read Stories
— Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.