Photographer: Patti Chambers, Bay View, Skagit County
Photo taken: Jan. 5, Bay View
Photographer’s description: “I was visiting with a friend who lives a short distance from the entrance to the Padilla Bay Trail near Bay View State Park. Suddenly an eagle flew to a tree a short distance from us. Fortunately, I had my Nikon 5000 in the car with my 70-300mm Nikon lens and was able to get several shots. I really liked how majestic the eagle looked in this shot!”
Expert says: “This is a very stoic eagle photo where the photographer made great use of the rule of thirds. The tree branches fill the ‘dead space’ very well. Tip: Taking a couple big steps to the right might have cleaned up the background so that the tree trunk isn’t coming out of the eagle. Also, it might have put the photographer in a position so that the beautiful light would hit the eagle more fully, at a better angle.”
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- As fast-moving wildfire hits Quincy, police say Wenatchee blaze man-made
- Seahawks mailbag: Bobby Wagner's contract, Brandon Mebane's future, and more
- How Evergreen State prof guided Supreme Court on gay marriage
Most Read Stories
— Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.