Photographer: Rod Hoekstra, Seattle Photo taken: May 21, John Day Fossil Bed National Monument, Ore. Photographer's description: "I stopped...
Rod Hoekstra, Seattle
Photo taken: May 21, John Day Fossil Bed National Monument, Ore.
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Kent family mourns loss of father, two sons in Father’s Day weekend crash
- Seattle sets heat record for July 4
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
Most Read Stories
“I stopped in the Painted Hills toward sunset and was treated to this rainbow when the sun popped out. Shot with a Canon 50D camera and Canon 10-22mm lens.”
“The sunlight highlights the layering of color in the hills, while the absence of the light allows the background to cleanly fade out. Shooting from a lower elevation and angle would help the hills rise up and fill more of the frame.”
— Kathryn Bachen,
Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos. We’ll judge the best and award a prize in December.