Photographer: Meg Wakeman, Seattle
Photo taken: Aug. 6, Green Lake
Photographer’s description: “The 48th annual ‘Hope to Hiroshima,’ commemorating all victims of violence, was a lantern-floating ceremony held at Green Lake. The calm water created luminous reflections of the lanterns on its surface. Taken with Canon 5D Mark III, f/2.8, 200mm, ISO 12800, 1/160th second.”
Expert says: “The shallow depth of field makes it appear the lanterns go on forever. I love how the lanterns in focus are kind of separated from the bunch and are reflected on the black-glasslike lake. This is a beautiful and serene photo that represents the ceremony very well.”
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Tukwila group to submit expansion application to NHL
Most Read Stories
— Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.