Photographer: George Saxton, Renton
Photo taken: Feb. 16, Soos Creek Trail, Kent
Photographer’s description: “After seeing the movie ‘The Big Year,’ I have a new obsession with birding. My wife and I saw this one during a walk along the Soos Creek Trail. I always take my camera — a Nikon D800 with 55-300 lens. This bird is a golden-crowned kinglet.”
Expert says: “Great use of depth of field to get a crisp focus on the eye of the bird and clean background. I like how some branches in the foreground are out-of-focus and some sharp to get a sense of the bird’s environment. I like the elongated crop, as well.”
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for marriage license
Most Read Stories
– Katie Greene,
Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.