A longtime Washington outdoors writer offers up some of his all-time favorite places and adventures. See the related links below for a list of outings.
Located near the far southwest corner of the state, this pristine wilderness of tideflats, marshes and ocean beaches — all fed by countless creeks, rivers and rivulets — is beloved by kayakers and birders alike. Time your kayak trip right as some folks and I did a few years ago, and you can paddle the rising tide inland up the Bone River and, when the tide reverses, kick back and enjoy a free downriver ride back down to the bay.
Along the way, the relative silence of kayak exploration enabled us to sneak up surprisingly close to eagles, great blue herons and even a herd of elk.
About 3 hours southwest of Seattle.
Mike McQuaide is the author of six guidebooks including “75 Classic Rides: Washington” (The Mountaineers Books).
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned by Italy high court