Photographer: Jim Zaikoski, Redmond
Photo taken: Feb. 6, Rattlesnake Lake
Photographer’s description: “I took this during the early February cold snap. I liked the way the hoar frost elevated some of the beach gravel to make it look like it was exploding.”
Expert says: “I’ve never seen anything like this and that’s what I love about photography — someone can capture something they experience and share it with the world. It really does look like it’s exploding. I like the tight frame the photographer made to focus in on what’s important and I believe this is what emphasizes the look of an explosion since we don’t see the surrounding beach.”
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- Costco said to get sweet deal from credit-card companies
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- On tour of UW station, Inslee backs $15 billion tax plan for more light rail
Most Read Stories
— Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.