Photographer: Jim Zaikoski, Redmond
Photo taken: May 30, Steptoe Butte, Whitman County
Photographer’s description: “I was looking for something different from the standard wheat field shots of the Palouse from Steptoe Butte when I saw this hang glider coming off the top of the butte. I waited until he was framed by the microwave tower to provide the framing I wanted in the late afternoon light. Taken with a Nikon D800e and a 200 mm lens to compress the glider and the background.”
Expert says: “This photo stood out to me because of the beautiful colors and rolling hills in the back. The orange glider pops with nice lighting on it, against the soft blues. Very nice! It would be cool to see the glider more to the left of the tower, so you can more quickly see a person there. That would also look great against the beautifully lit background.”
- Tourists robbed, beaten downtown ‘afraid to go back’ to Seattle
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
- Steve Sarkisian was reimbursed by Washington for hefty alcohol bills
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor holdout FAQ
- Why did the Mariners’ season go terribly wrong?
Most Read Stories
— Courtney Riffkin, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.