Photographer: Xing Du
Photo taken: Juanita Bay, Kirkland
Photographer’s description: “This few-days-old duckling walked carefully down the slippery rock to join his mom and siblings on the water.”
Expert says: “This photo is, firstly, adorable. It also has some great photographic elements. I’m so happy when I see photographers get down at the subject’s level like this. Even though the photographer used a 400-mm lens, it was on that same plane, which gives a great perspective on this little ducky. Great use of the rule of thirds with the sloping rock, and the tack-sharp focus on the water drops and its little ducky feet makes this a great nature photo.”
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Moneytree leads push to loosen state's payday-lending law
- Should UW stick with coach Lorenzo Romar?
- Doughnut wars: Seattle sweets vs. Portland pastries
Most Read Stories
— Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.