Photographer: Chris Picard, Seattle
Photo taken: Feb. 25, Seattle
Photographer’s description: “I have been trying to get a photo of a hummingbird in full flight. It has been very difficult. This is a shot of a male Anna’s Hummingbird diving from a bush to a feeder on my deck. Taken with a Nikon D7100 using an 80-400mm lens with a shutter speed of 1/1250 second.”
Expert says: “This is a fabulous hummingbird photo! I love the clean background, which allows us to not be distracted from the main focus of the frame, and how the head is in focus so we can see the shine of the feathers. The photographer did a great job using a fast shutter speed to ensure the bird is in focus but allowing just enough wing movement to show the bird isn’t stagnant, emphasizing the hummingbird’s fascinating wing speed.”
- Who do post-Combine mock drafts have the Seahawks selecting?
- Belltown ticket trap turns drivers into 'sitting ducks'
- Microsoft pair claim 'hostess bar' expense queries led to firing
- Slugger Nelson Cruz makes strong first impression with Mariners
- Seattle's new seawall also a highway for fish
Most Read Stories
— Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.