A longtime Washington outdoors writer offers up some of his all-time favorite places and adventures. See the related links below for a list of outings.
To me, there’s no better sense of escape than boarding a Washington State ferry and setting out on the magical passage through the forested jewels of the San Juan Island archipelago. Views of 2,409-foot Mount Constitution soon emerge, as does the rest of Orcas Island.
Much of what you see is 5,200-acre Moran State Park which, with five freshwater lakes, four campgrounds and 30-plus miles of hiking and biking trails, is family-fun Nirvana. An added plus: If you have youngins
who favor rolling about on concrete, there’s an epic 20,000-square-foot skatepark about 10 minutes from the Moran gate.
About 3¼ hours north of Seattle, which includes an hourlong ferry ride.
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
- Seattle-area teen loved football, says grieving father
- SEC adds millions to developer’s alleged fraud in Seattle
Most Read Stories
Mike McQuaide is the author of six guidebooks including “75 Classic Rides: Washington” (The Mountaineers Books).