Red wine and chocolate pairings are a common offering at Washington wineries this Valentine's Day weekend.
In wine country, February marks the one month when cheese yields to chocolate, when wine snobs won’t raise their noses at the thought of Damiana truffles or chocolate mole chili paired with big reds.
For Washington wineries, chocolate-and-wine pairing around Valentine’s Day has become one of the most popular events. Since winter remains the slowest wine-tourism season, expect every wine region in the state to throw chocolate-and-wine events for lovebirds and girls’ night out.
Woodinville hosts about a dozen events for the most romantic day of the year, mostly because it can draw a large crowd from the Seattle metro area.
Here’s what’s planned this weekend in Woodinville:
- NFL.com says Seahawks have most talented roster in league, and speculate on starting lineup
- After embarrassment, Seattle finds public toilet that's just right
- 32 families face eviction with sale of Kirkland mobile-home park
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
Most Read Stories
• Friday-Sunday, Silver Lake Winery pairs red wines with handmade chocolate treats including Damiana truffle that contains an herb from the Southwest and Mexico. 15029 Woodinville-Redmond Road; 425-485-2437 or silverlakewinery.com.
• Saturday and Sunday, Novelty Hill-Januik will hold wine-and-chocolate pairing from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. 14710 Woodinville-Redmond Road N.E.; 425-481-5502 or www.noveltyhilljanuik.com.
The following events are all on Valentine’s Day, this Saturday:
• Edmonds Winery will pair chocolate with its 2006 vintage cabernet sauvignon. Noon-4 p.m. 19501 144th Ave. N.E., Suite D500; 425 774-8959 or edmondswinery.com.
• Red Sky Winery will pair its Bordeaux style reds with chocolate. Noon-4 p.m. 19495 144th Ave. N.E., Suite B220; 425-481-9864 or redskywinery.com.
• Brian Carter Cellars will feature “Red Wine, Chocolate and Candles” with truffles made by Oh! Chocolate. Noon-5 p.m. 14419 Woodinville-Redmond Road N.E.; 425 806-9463 or briancartercellars.com.
• William Church Winery will pair chocolate from The Confectionary, and guests may meet Julie Berg of Wellington Chocolates. 19495 144th Ave. N.E., Suite A100; 425 427-0764 or williamchurchwinery.com.
• Anton Ville Winery will pair wine with truffles. 19501 144th Ave. N.E.; 206-683-3393 or antonvillewinery.com.
For more Valentine’s Day related events and dinners, check www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/EventsOtherWoodinville.cfm.
Almost every wine region has wine and chocolate events this holiday weekend. Others that might be of interest:
• Yakima Valley’s Red Wine & Chocolate event from Saturday through Monday. You can purchase a $20 “Premier Pass” online to gain access to dozens of wine-and-chocolate pairing events. 509-965-5201 or wineyakimavalley.org.
• Wineries around Port Angeles will host the Olympic Peninsula Red Wine & Chocolate Tour Saturday through Monday 11 a.m.-5 p.m. 800-785-5495 or olympicpeninsulawineries.org.
• Whidbey Island wineries will also host wine and chocolate tastings Saturday through Monday. See www.whidbeycamanoislands.com/food_wine/wines.
Tan Vinh: 206-515-5656 or email@example.com