Photographer: Colleen Powell, Kirkland
Photo taken: March 22, in her back yard
Photographer’s description: “I snapped this shot of a tulip emerging from melting snow with a Canon Rebel T3i and a 100 mm macro lens.”
Expert says: “The photographer did a great job of using the snow to create a clean background and to focus in on the water droplets. A macro lens can be a great tool to show exquisite detail in everyday things. Macro photography basically magnifies an object to larger than we ordinarily see it. Tip: Try focusing on different points of an object to get different effects.”
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Anonymous donor pays off landslide victim's $360K mortgage
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
Most Read Stories
– Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.