Photographer: Ross Wheeler, age 14, Vashon
Photo taken: Jan. 2, Point Robinson, Maury Island
Photographer’s description: “I spotted this blue heron as my family was watching the sunset at Point Robinson. I was able to capture the heron and the reflection of the beautiful sunset on Puget Sound. Taken with Canon G15.”
Expert says: “This is a fabulous sunset/silhouette photo. I love the texture the rocks and the glittering water give against the stark silhouette of the heron. Going against the rule-of-thirds, I really enjoy the heron being in the center of this photo. Without the elements of the sun streak and the rocks, the layers that make this photo beautiful would be gone, making for a more boring picture, even if there was a silhouetted heron. Great shot!”
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
Most Read Stories
— Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.