Photographer: Ross Wheeler, age 14, Vashon
Photo taken: Jan. 2, Point Robinson, Maury Island
Photographer’s description: “I spotted this blue heron as my family was watching the sunset at Point Robinson. I was able to capture the heron and the reflection of the beautiful sunset on Puget Sound. Taken with Canon G15.”
Expert says: “This is a fabulous sunset/silhouette photo. I love the texture the rocks and the glittering water give against the stark silhouette of the heron. Going against the rule-of-thirds, I really enjoy the heron being in the center of this photo. Without the elements of the sun streak and the rocks, the layers that make this photo beautiful would be gone, making for a more boring picture, even if there was a silhouetted heron. Great shot!”
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
— Katie G. Cotterill, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.