Photographer: Leia M. Smith, Seattle
Photo taken: May 4, Dunn Gardens
Photographer’s description: “My friends and I went for a spring tour of the Dunn Gardens in North Seattle. The bees are busy at this time of the year. This photo was taken using Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H10, ISO 200, 44 mm, f/4 at 1/400, no filter, natural light.”
Expert says: “This is a really nice bee-in-a-flower photo. I like the placement of the bee in the frame and the funkiness of the center of the flower. The light that falls on the bee is beautiful. The flower filling the frame with the green foliage surrounding it is nice, too. It could be interesting to try a tighter crop on the bee to give it more emphasis in the frame.”
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for marriage license
Most Read Stories
— Katie Greene, Seattle Times photo staff
Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos (and see an online gallery of other Reader’s Lens photos). We judge the best and award a prize every December.