Did you catch the gentleman’s debate Tuesday night? I’m referring to the state gubernatorial debate between Republican Rob McKenna and Democrat Jay Inslee. Compared with Barack Obama and Mitt Romney’s cage fight at the presidential debate the same evening, the local debate at KING5 felt like a game of checkers. On the downside, there was no catch phrase like Romney’s “binders full of women.”
My biggest complaint about the gubernatorial debate is that it is unintelligible to the average Washington voter. Does the average voter know what the McCleary decision is? The property tax swap that sparked repeated back and forth? Lean management? If I were an average voter who tuned in to educate myself on the candidates, it would be like starting the Twilight saga with “Breaking Dawn.”
If you haven’t watched it yet, here is the video of the opening statements from KING5. Below, you’ll find the decoder ring to the governor’s debate.
- Seattle police officer faces firing over arrest of man carrying a golf club
- Man killed by escort had axes, shovel, bleach; may be linked to missing women
- Seattle-area home prices hit wall in May
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
- Boy Scouts OK gay leaders; Mormon church may quit