Our fellow Americans on the East Coast are reeling from the devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy.
They need all the help they can get.
According to news reports, the damage to property and the economy could top $50 billion. By Friday, the death toll in eight states had risen to nearly 100 and more than 1 million residents in the New York region were living in darkness, awaiting electricity.
Images from the storm-ravaged area show the weary faces of survivors in need of basic necessities like food, shelter, water and counseling.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
- Crash on I-5 at Boeing Access Road backs up traffic for miles
- Photo shows Chicago cops posing over black man with antlers
Most Read Stories
The Pacific Northwest is responding. The state Department of Ecology is sending 48 workers and local utilities are sending crews. Dozens of Red Cross disaster volunteers have been deployed, too.
The rest of us can still do something. Donating money is the quickest, most effective option.
Give to the American Red Cross online at redcross.org or by phone at 1-800-RED CROSS. You can make a $10 donation through your cellphone by texting REDCROSS to 90999.