Our fellow Americans on the East Coast are reeling from the devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy.
They need all the help they can get.
According to news reports, the damage to property and the economy could top $50 billion. By Friday, the death toll in eight states had risen to nearly 100 and more than 1 million residents in the New York region were living in darkness, awaiting electricity.
Images from the storm-ravaged area show the weary faces of survivors in need of basic necessities like food, shelter, water and counseling.
- Cleared after stabbing, former UW student wants his life back
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Death of Oregon ultramarathoner rocks community of runners
Most Read Stories
The Pacific Northwest is responding. The state Department of Ecology is sending 48 workers and local utilities are sending crews. Dozens of Red Cross disaster volunteers have been deployed, too.
The rest of us can still do something. Donating money is the quickest, most effective option.
Give to the American Red Cross online at redcross.org or by phone at 1-800-RED CROSS. You can make a $10 donation through your cellphone by texting REDCROSS to 90999.