Welcome to Patrick Dempsey and his investor group, who just won a bid to acquire Seattle coffee chain Tully’s.
Dempsey, also known as Dr. McDreamy on the TV show “Grey’s Anatomy,” tweeted the news on Thursday night with a nod to Starbucks folding: “We met the green monster, looked her in the eye, and…SHE BLINKED! We got it! Thank you Seattle!” Here is the news side’s story.
And here are some morning thoughts.
- More funny tweets about Starbucks please.
- Help Tully’s turn a sustainable profit. Don’t make this another sad chapter in Tully’s history. Starbucks deserves a worthy competitor in this city.
- Our editorial board has already requested the hiring of the “Grey’s Anatomy” cast to staff Seattle stores. Paging Dr. McSteamy to the Starbucks above Whole Foods Westlake.
- Do not ask the city of Seattle to publicly finance a $290 million expansion plan.
- Once you figure out a way to turn Tully’s finances cash-flow positive, give back to the community that works for your company and buys its coffee. Donate to local philanthropic causes. In other words, don’t be Amazon.com.
- Please lead a flash mob performing the dance scene from your 1989 movie “Loverboy” in Volunteer Park.
- Pay baristas a living wage and provide health-care coverage. You’ve seen the ads that say good cheese comes from happy cows? Good espresso comes from happy, healthy baristas, which builds customer loyalty.
- Should Tully’s become a wildly profitable venture and should the NBA return to Seattle, please do not buy said team, refer to it as a “public trust” and then sell it to owners in another state. Here’s some history on that.
- And don’t sell Tully’s to Dunkin, or any out-of-town buyer.