11 outrageous excuses for being late to work, as reported by managers in a CareerBuilder survey.
Those who still have the type of jobs that require them to actually show their faces at a physical workplace usually have a set time when they are expected to arrive. If they have not yet appeared by that time, they are considered “late.”
At that point, an excuse may be given, and usually it is a valid one. Sometimes, however, a manager gets to hear some less-than-valid reasons that can sound a little silly. Here, courtesy of a CareerBuilder survey, are some of the outrageous excuses managers reported hearing:
• I forgot it wasn’t the weekend.
• I put petroleum jelly in my eyes.
• I had to watch a soccer game that was being played in Europe.
• I thought Flag Day was a legal holiday.
• I overslept because my kids changed all the clocks in the house.
• I was cornered by a moose.
• My mother locked me in the closet.
• The pizza I ordered was late being delivered, and I had to be home to accept/pay for it.
• The sunrise was so beautiful that I had to stop and take it in.
• My mother-in-law wouldn’t stop talking.
• My dad offered to make me a grilled cheese sandwich, and I couldn’t say no.