TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — A young mother has died after her car was hit by a train in Alabama.
Tuscaloosa Fire Marshal Gene Holcomb tells news outlets that 21-year-old Savanna Lee Smith, of Moundville, was pronounced dead at the scene after the train collided with her SUV on Thursday morning in Tuscaloosa County. She was the vehicle’s only occupant.
The Tuscaloosa News (http://bit.ly/2jrkrVl ) reports that Smith had a 2-year-old son and 1-year-old daughter.
Multiple agencies are investigating the crash.
Most Read Stories
- Jay Inslee for president? Governor’s profile is on the rise
- Swedish CEO resigns in wake of Seattle Times investigation
- Mayor Ed Murray proposes $55 million a year property-tax levy to fight homelessness VIEW
- Nordstrom’s big, beautiful stores are losing ground VIEW
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
This is the second fatal train crash in the county this week. On Monday night, 20-year-old LSU student Katie Keogh was fatally struck by a train while walking back from a bar after the College Football Playoff National Championship game.
Information from: The Tuscaloosa News, http://www.tuscaloosanews.com