TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Sheriff’s deputies in Florida say a 7-year-old boy is in critical condition after his grandmother mistook him for an intruder and shot him.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Tuesday in Tampa.
According to Hillsborough County Sheriff’s officials, 63-year-old Linda Maddox and her twin grandsons were sleeping after their father had left for work. Maddox told deputies she had placed a chair against the bedroom door handle for extra protection. When she heard the chair sliding against the floor, she assumed it was an intruder and grabbed a loaded .22-caliber revolver she keeps by the bed and fired one shot in the dark toward the door.
Deputies say seconds later she heard the screams of her grandson Tyler Maddox. He was shot once in the upper body. He was taken to a hospital.
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- Panthers' Cam Newton and Seahawks' Russell Wilson handled Super Bowl losses very differently
- Sale of Weyerhaeuser’s Federal Way campus means more intensive development