TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Police in New Jersey are searching for a man who they say fatally shot a woman during an attempted robbery of three passengers in a vehicle operating under the ride-hailing service Lyft.
Mercer County prosecutors say the incident began when the unknown assailant hopped into the back of the car Wednesday night in Trenton and demanded the passengers’ money.
A gunshot was fired and the suspect fled as the Lyft driver sped off.
Police say 27-year-old Amber Dudley was struck in the torso. The Collingswood woman was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Most Read Stories
- Wave goodbye: Live Seafair hydroplane-race TV coverage sputters out after 66 years VIEW
- Alex Tizon, former Seattle Times reporter who won Pulitzer Prize, dies at 57
- Judge: Married Lake Stevens cop’s misconduct didn’t violate girlfriend’s civil rights
- Milo Yiannopoulos at UW: A speech, a shooting and $75,000 in police overtime
- Cameron Dollar rejoins Washington on Mike Hopkins' staff
Police have not released the names of the Lyft driver or Dudley’s fellow passengers.
The investigation is ongoing.