TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Police in New Jersey are searching for a man who they say fatally shot a woman during an attempted robbery of three passengers in a vehicle operating under the ride-hailing service Lyft.
Mercer County prosecutors say the incident began when the unknown assailant hopped into the back of the car Wednesday night in Trenton and demanded the passengers’ money.
A gunshot was fired and the suspect fled as the Lyft driver sped off.
Police say 27-year-old Amber Dudley was struck in the torso. The Collingswood woman was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Most Read Stories
- Arrest of black teen in Wallingford sets off social-media storm
- Huskies not only should be in playoffs, they should be in Fiesta Bowl
- An earthquake worse than the 'Big One'? Shattered New Zealand city shows danger of Seattle's fault | Seismic Neglect WATCH
- What the national media are saying about the Huskies' Pac-12 title, playoff chances: 'Washington is back'
- Snow is on way to Western Washington lowlands, weather service says
Police have not released the names of the Lyft driver or Dudley’s fellow passengers.
The investigation is ongoing.