ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — A woman in Rochester, New York, remains hospitalized with what police describe as “horrific” injuries after she was mauled by a pit bull before officers shot and killed the dog.
Police say 33-year-old Maria Schaffer is in guarded condition at a hospital Thursday, a day after she was attacked by a pit bull outside a home in Rochester. Officials say she suffered multiple wounds including extensive injuries to her arm.
Authorities say when police arrived about 1 a.m. Wednesday, Schaffer was naked and being mauled by the dog at the end of a driveway. Police say three officers fired several rounds at the animal, killing it but also wounding the dog’s owner, 34-year-old Jamie Cruz.
He suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and is in guarded condition.
Most Read Stories
- Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed, AG Ferguson says
- Cheating hubby needs to reset attitude toward ‘affair baby’ | Dear Carolyn
- 5-year-old Kent girl re-creates iconic photos of notable black women for Black History Month VIEW
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
- Bothell’s Jacob Sirmon getting a head start as Huskies’ quarterback of the future