ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — A woman in Rochester, New York, remains hospitalized with what police describe as “horrific” injuries after she was mauled by a pit bull before officers shot and killed the dog.
Police say 33-year-old Maria Schaffer is in guarded condition at a hospital Thursday, a day after she was attacked by a pit bull outside a home in Rochester. Officials say she suffered multiple wounds including extensive injuries to her arm.
Authorities say when police arrived about 1 a.m. Wednesday, Schaffer was naked and being mauled by the dog at the end of a driveway. Police say three officers fired several rounds at the animal, killing it but also wounding the dog’s owner, 34-year-old Jamie Cruz.
He suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and is in guarded condition.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
- Portland mayor: ‘Heroes’ died protecting women on train from anti-Muslim rant VIEW