ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — A woman in Rochester, New York, remains hospitalized with what police describe as “horrific” injuries after she was mauled by a pit bull before officers shot and killed the dog.
Police say 33-year-old Maria Schaffer is in guarded condition at a hospital Thursday, a day after she was attacked by a pit bull outside a home in Rochester. Officials say she suffered multiple wounds including extensive injuries to her arm.
Authorities say when police arrived about 1 a.m. Wednesday, Schaffer was naked and being mauled by the dog at the end of a driveway. Police say three officers fired several rounds at the animal, killing it but also wounding the dog’s owner, 34-year-old Jamie Cruz.
He suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and is in guarded condition.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle just broke a 122-year-old record for rain — because of course it did
- New wife feels sting of inheritance-plan snub | Dear Carolyn
- Fishing 101 can help parents cope with daughter’s nasty ‘best friend’ | Dear Carolyn
- Texas football player’s story prompts probe of Garfield High School recruitment
- So far, Huskies putting together the highest-ranked recruiting class of the Chris Petersen era