DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — As the Iowa caucuses draw near, Democrat Hillary Clinton is highlighting rival Bernie Sanders’ votes against tougher gun restrictions.
Her presidential campaign says Clinton will appear Saturday in Ames, Iowa, with Gabby Giffords, the former Democratic congresswoman from Arizona.
Giffords was gravely wounded in a shooting five years ago in Tucson, Arizona, and has become a prominent gun control advocate.
Clinton wants caucus-goers to make gun control a “voting issue.” She’s tried to portray Sanders as a National Rifle Association ally by citing his votes against a waiting period for gun purchases and for granting gun manufacturers legal immunity.
- Purple Heart plant bed vandalized days before Memorial Day
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Boeing tankers will be delivered to Air Force late — and incomplete
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- A six-pack of observations from Seahawks' OTAs: Justin Britt, Alex Collins, Tharold Simon and more
Most Read Stories
Sanders now supports efforts to repeal that immunity and says he’s been a tough opponent of the pro-gun lobby.
Polls show a tight race between Clinton and Sanders in Iowa.