DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — As the Iowa caucuses draw near, Democrat Hillary Clinton is highlighting rival Bernie Sanders’ votes against tougher gun restrictions.
Her presidential campaign says Clinton will appear Saturday in Ames, Iowa, with Gabby Giffords, the former Democratic congresswoman from Arizona.
Giffords was gravely wounded in a shooting five years ago in Tucson, Arizona, and has become a prominent gun control advocate.
Clinton wants caucus-goers to make gun control a “voting issue.” She’s tried to portray Sanders as a National Rifle Association ally by citing his votes against a waiting period for gun purchases and for granting gun manufacturers legal immunity.
Most Read Stories
- The results are in: Here's where the new Dick's Drive-In will be
- Prosecutor reviewing sex-abuse allegations against ‘Deadliest Catch’ star Sig Hansen
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX on brink of `Wright Brothers moment’ with reused rocket
- Best way to slow aging? Exercise, but not just any kind
- Richard Branson celebrates Virgin Atlantic’s entry to Seattle market, tears into Alaska Air
Sanders now supports efforts to repeal that immunity and says he’s been a tough opponent of the pro-gun lobby.
Polls show a tight race between Clinton and Sanders in Iowa.