DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — As the Iowa caucuses draw near, Democrat Hillary Clinton is highlighting rival Bernie Sanders’ votes against tougher gun restrictions.
Her presidential campaign says Clinton will appear Saturday in Ames, Iowa, with Gabby Giffords, the former Democratic congresswoman from Arizona.
Giffords was gravely wounded in a shooting five years ago in Tucson, Arizona, and has become a prominent gun control advocate.
Clinton wants caucus-goers to make gun control a “voting issue.” She’s tried to portray Sanders as a National Rifle Association ally by citing his votes against a waiting period for gun purchases and for granting gun manufacturers legal immunity.
Most Read Stories
- Woman fatally shot by deputies on Muckleshoot tribal land was pregnant
- Seattle skyline is tops in construction cranes — more than any other U.S. city
- Kremlin: demands for Assad's departure "thoughtless"
- Complete coverage: No. 5 Huskies roll to 41-17 victory over Oregon State Beavers VIEW
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Sanders now supports efforts to repeal that immunity and says he’s been a tough opponent of the pro-gun lobby.
Polls show a tight race between Clinton and Sanders in Iowa.