DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — As the Iowa caucuses draw near, Democrat Hillary Clinton is highlighting rival Bernie Sanders’ votes against tougher gun restrictions.
Her presidential campaign says Clinton will appear Saturday in Ames, Iowa, with Gabby Giffords, the former Democratic congresswoman from Arizona.
Giffords was gravely wounded in a shooting five years ago in Tucson, Arizona, and has become a prominent gun control advocate.
Clinton wants caucus-goers to make gun control a “voting issue.” She’s tried to portray Sanders as a National Rifle Association ally by citing his votes against a waiting period for gun purchases and for granting gun manufacturers legal immunity.
Most Read Stories
- Woman, 71, lost in Olympics with dog, built shelter, ate ants
- 3 teens killed in Lynnwood crash from Mill Creek high school
- Foreign buyers drop off as Seattle housing market hits hottest tempo since 2006 bubble
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Are Seattle housing prices headed for a crash? | Jon Talton
Sanders now supports efforts to repeal that immunity and says he’s been a tough opponent of the pro-gun lobby.
Polls show a tight race between Clinton and Sanders in Iowa.