Urooj Khan died before he could collect the winnings in a lump-sum payment, about $425,000 after taxes.
CHICAGO — The wife of a million-dollar lottery winner who died last year of cyanide poisoning said Thursday that Chicago police detectives had questioned her about the ingredients she used in preparing what turned out to be her husband’s last meal.
Shabana Ansari also said she believed police had seized food from the family home after toxicological tests late last year showed that her husband, Urooj Khan, had died from lethal levels of cyanide.
Ansari, her father and teenage daughter shared a lamb-curry meal with Khan on the night he died in July.
Cook County prosecutors plan to seek permission Friday from a judge to exhume Khan’s body. Chief Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina wants to perform an autopsy, since none was done at the time of Khan’s death.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
The medical examiner’s office initially found that Khan died of natural causes, but after a relative raised concerns, extensive toxicological tests of blood samples showed he died from lethal levels of cyanide.
Khan died before he could collect the winnings in a lump-sum payment, about $425,000 after taxes.
The investigation into his death remains on standby