TRUCKEE, Calif. (AP) — A harrowing video of a big rig without rear brakes on a slippery highway has gone viral for the California Highway Patrol.
The video shot by Sgt. Eric Strecker was posted on the agency’s Facebook page Thursday and has gotten 24 million views so far.
Strecker says the big rig had jackknifed at the top of a snowy grade on Interstate 80 in Truckee, California near the Nevada state line.
He says the truck was blocking all lanes of traffic and it would take at least an hour for a tow truck. So the agency asked the driver to do a controlled slide about a mile downhill until the next exit.
Most Read Stories
- Starbucks' Dragon Frappuccino is new 'secret' drink craze
- Marshawn Lynch takes out a full-page ad in the Seattle Times to thank fans
- First reaction: Seahawks select 6 players in second and third rounds of NFL Draft
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the final day, rounds 4-7
- Draft day delivery: Russell Wilson, Ciara announce birth of Sienna Princess Wilson
An officer expresses his surprise at the end of the video, saying: “I cannot believe that worked.”